Friday 3 March 2017

Why you need a notebook before attending a conference

This tree has lots and lots of wishes tied to it and I also saw a number of them serving more as reminders to their authors to stay focused
Even people who do not struggle with keeping things organised, can do with a conference-travel  note book. Mine is divided into several sections on what I need to remember to do three months prior to the conference, a week before I fly, a day or two before I fly, the day I actually get on the aircraft and even a section for things I need to do after returning from the conference (like filing the receipts for tax purposes that would be needed later).

I also list everything I need to pack in different lists under different headings, starting with my back pack (where the stuff like tickets and passports and gum and my laptop must go) and ending with lists for medicine, toiletries and extras such as a swimming costume, a hat, a raincoat or a formal dress and extra shoes which is not always needed depending on the destination and events included on the trip. There is also a list for last minute things like my glasses and sunglasses, mobile phone and charger. This list is marked very clearly and I normally put it on top of my back pack before going to sleep the night before we travel to ensure that I have to see it before getting into the car.

The first list includes things like booking tickets, transfers and accommodation, and paying the conference registration fee all of which must be done well in advance. On this list is also included a reminder to book a shuttle to and from the airport (or a rental car which we normally do). The list also has a reminder to check the weather conditions at the destination and the time difference on the world clock. This helps with the planning and packing and adding of apps (if needed - like a world clock on the home page of the mobile phone which shows the time at more than one destination) before we travel.

My 'few days before we go' list include a reminder to call the bank to inform them that I will use my credit card while travelling and also a reminder to check in online as soon as this function opens on the web page of the airline (up to 72 hours before the flight).  My 'on the airport' list reminds me to activate sms roaming on my mobile phone and to active the out of office notification on my e mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment