Monday 19 June 2017

How about a Conference adviser or Conference Critic webpage?


Conference dinner in Stellenbosch
Just like TripAdvisor and cruise critic; how about a place were you can see what the large array of conferences can offer and read what other academics have to say about their experiences at these conferences?

Conferencing is not cheap and it also takes up a lot of time. Planning and arranging all the needed documentation and funding is already a full-time job if you are attending conferences on a regular basis. Deciding where and when to go is also taking a lot of time on the internet searching. Then there are things like air tickets, hotel reservation (deciding to stay at the conference hotel or not) and transfers to and from the airport (or to hire a car). And what about the stopover on your way back or a few extra days to visit a nearby attraction you want to tick of your bucket list?

I like to string two or three conferences together in order to safe money and use the time out of the country and away from the office to the fullest by combining my interests to attend one conference in each of my research fields.

People often ask me about certain conferences and one thing I discover more each day, is that not all people see conferencing in the same light and not all people think as I do (yes I know this anyway but I mean in terms of what makes a conference great or just ordinary or super). I really like conferences with 'build-in'  or add-on activities such as bus tours. And I really do not really care about fancy conference dinners that other people seem to adore. One of my colleagues only goes to large conferences (1000+ people) and another one likes to go when there would be large books and media exhibitions while yet another one only goes to conferences that contributes to their disciplinary point system. So, variety would be a sure feature on such a page, and the same conference will no doubt get good and poor ratings at the same time, but just like TripAdvisor and the likes, the reader would do well through critical reading to make informed decisions, don't you agree?   



   

No comments:

Post a Comment